Sunday, July 15, 2012

whoops

So there I am, rocking in the free world. Flying down the road on the back of an AG2R motorcycle (I don't even know what the hell AG2R is and seriously: brown shorts?) in today's stage. I have the perfect view of everything. Seriously. I could see how frightened Gilbert, Casar and Co. were of Sagan. I could see Sagan texting while he chased them up the mountain. I had race radio crackling in the headphones. It was a Tour de France overload. Then there was something about a flat. And then another flat. And then another flat. Then something about tacks in the road.

Tacks. Crap. Johnny V. (you know, Johnathon Vaughters, we're pretty tight now) from Garmin had asked me to put up some flyers for him of this side project garage punk/ euro trash band thing he's got going on and since I was gonna be cruising on the moto today, I though "sure". The tack thing kinda made me wonder and I checked my messenger bag and sure enough, I was missing all of my tacks for putting up the flyers. I gotta give a big "My Bad!" to everyone affected today, especially Cadel Evans. Seriously though, Cadel, three flats? Surely, you're looking at the road when you're riding, right? Some of that was on you man...

As far as the Luna Cycles Big Deal Fantasy Tour de France presented by Uncle Chuck's New School Pregreaser goes, Quint Ervin has put a stranglehold on the maillot jaune tighter than that necessary to choke all those chickens his team dines on every night. With over 400 points separating Team SRAM Red 2012 p/b Bojangle's from second place Team Dottatope, I can't see where the weak point is. Short of Bradley Wiggins spontaneously combusting in the next couple of stages, Ervin may prove to be the Miguel Indurain of the Fantasy Cycling world.

As for this reporter's favorite, Mas Fuerte, these plucky underdogs need a few more strong performances from their French riders to cause the upset they are hoping for. Good on ya, Sandy Casar, for putting on such a strong performance today! Now get, Samuel Dumoulin and David MyCooties up there and Mas Fuerte might just have a shot at this thing.

No comments: