Sunday, January 28, 2007

Simply stellar

photo: Chris Millman
Well damn if American cyclocross didn't just leave an impression on the rest of the world! Katie Compton took silver in the women's elite category first thing this morning. First time an American woman has ever been on the podium at World's. And then, there was Jonathan Page...

photo: Chris Millman

I had planned on going over to Jeff's to watch the men's elite race at 10 am. He called me at 8:30 am saying, "They just started!" That was all that I needed to put down the paint brush, throw on a jacket and head over. Jeff opened the door saying,"Nijs and Wellens just crashed!" I glued myself to the computer screen and started to get my bearings as to the goings on of the race. Right away I noticed that Page was riding in the lead group and looking very comfortable. Amidst all of the chaos, Page rode perfectly. What was really striking was that he did not have that "I'm just happy to be here" look that shows when a rider is in a group out of his league. But when he started attacking, oh man, that was the turning point. Page attacked out of a group that included defending world champion Vervecken and former world champion Groenendaal. He was relentless, making all of the top pros pay for each and every bobble and misstep. Jeff and I both sat glued, knowing that page had a podium spot, but which one. The deal was all but sealed until Vervecken finally came across the gap, ever the predator. Vervecken is known for capitolizing on the mistakes of others, but Page let him have it as he unleashed attack after attack. It looked like Page could hold him off, until a slight bobble near the end of the bell lap. Vervecken pounced heading onto the pavement and with 3 seconds in hand, swept across the line, arms raised, but checking over his shoulder because Page was oh so close. In the end, Page had to "settle" for a monumental silver medal. Not to toot my own horn TOO much, but I was one of the few who predicted a podium position for Page...

Got back from Jeff's and took over Owen duty so that Golden could go ride. The boy and I headed to Lowe's to get paint for the bathroom and we knocked a fair bit of it out before Golden got back. Then Jeff and I took off to go ride the Over Mountain Victory Trail in order to christen my new mtn. bike. I'll give a full review on my BMC Team in a few days. The ride was great, the bike was great, but the wind and the cold let us know it was time to call it a day.

No comments: