Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Gettin' philosophical up in this beeotch...


Alright, I survived going back to school today. Now I can reflect and wax philosophical on the year past and the year ahead.

I am sure that by now, even the most casual reader is familiar with my new son, Owen. I love him to death despite the couple of times he's peed on me and the one time he tried to poop on me. He woke up this morning, looked straight at me and got a huge smile that lit up his face. That crap just kills me... I'm also incredibly fortunate that my parents have decided to move to Lenoir and that Owen get's taken care of by his grandparents instead of having to go to daycare. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Of course, I can't thank my wife enough for putting up with my spacy optimism, weird sense of humor, repeated stories, and the inevitable "stupid accident of the year" (this year, I swallowed a finishing nail) for another year.

Another person whom I am incredibly thankful for is my best friend and business partner, Jeff. I have to make sure to say "business partner" because I've noticed when I refer to him as my "partner", people get a real odd expression on their face for a fleeting second before they regain their composure. Anyway, Jeff (and his wife, Shelli) decided to follow us out here from Flagstaff, AZ about a year ago. Without Jeff, Luna Cycles wouldn't exist and I am eternally grateful to him for throwing in with me and helping us to both realize our dream of owning a bike shop. Jeff compliments my personality well and I feel that we make a very good team. Thanks Jeff for all that you do for me and the shop.

Now that I start to think about the coming year, I want to remind you of this weekend's 'cross race right here in Lenoir at the Zack's Fork soccer complex. This is a momentous event for our fledgling cycling community because it will be the third cycling event in Lenoir since July. I really feel that our community is set to reap the rewards of the fantastic cycling climate we have here. Our town is up for anything that we have come up with so far and more and more organizations seem to want to capitalize on the outdoor recreation opportunities that our area has to offer. This year will see a new metric century in the spring and the construction of mountain bike trails at the Aquatic Center in addition to the Bridge to Bridge century, the 2nd annual Lenoir Criterium (June 9th, 2007) and the Lenoir Cyclocross race. With momentum like this, who knows what the future holds for us?

My hopes for the future are for all of the excitement and enthusiasm that I have for Lenoir and the growing community of entrepreneurs taking the same risks as Jeff and I, to become even more infectious and to attract more people to the area. I hope that Luna Cycles can continue to serve as an incubator for our cycling community and that we can continue to serve that community to the best of our abilities.

If you can make it, come check out the 'cross race Saturday. Races start at 11 am. If you would like to volunteer to help, contact Jeff at the shop (759-1990), on his cell (729-2192) or email him. Don't know what the heck I'm talking about, check out the flyer at the top of the links in the sidebar!

No comments: