Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Bring me a shrubbery!"



While the news of Castro's death, to paraphrase a famous writer, seems a bit premature, GW Bush's political lifespan seems to be beyond all but the most heroic of measures to save it at this point. Republicans have joined democrats in droves to voice disappointment and criticism for the White House's new proposals for dealing with Iraq. Too bad their all just playing a big game of CYA. I try not to enter into too much political conversation, but I am still bitter about all of the insults Golden and I suffered for not supporting Operation Just Cuz at the beginning. I hate the whole "You don't support the troops" B.S. that we suffered through 4 years ago. Let me state for the record that I do support our troops; I support them so much, I don't want to see them senselessly put in harm's way to achieve NOTHING! Now that everyone and their brother is on the anti-war bandwagon, there is no satisfaction in it, just a hollow feeling of how much has been lost and wasted...

So now, a bunch of politicians get to make speeches and wring their hands and point fingers, but really they can only blame themselves. The Republican party and especially Karl Rove, sought to establish a ONE party government. They achieved it for six years and now you can understand the big civics lesson that you didn't quite grasp in High School: we have opposing parties for a reason and we have a system of checks and balances for a reason. Just remember boys and girls that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

On a different note, I'm not sure what's in the Kool Aid around here, but the shop has been busy like it's spring time. I guess mother nature is going to let us know who's boss this weekend. The forecast is calling for a bunch of white stuff to be on or about these here parts in the next few days, so I'm guessing our bikes are going to be chained up to the trainers for a little while. And to think I was down to shorts and arm warmers this past Sunday.

If your big thing for the coming year is achieving some personal athletic goal, then check out this site to find some like minded souls to share your training log with. You can also find a list of events all over the country, including swimming, running and cycling.

Il bambino has yet to make progress in the eating department. He stares at you like vulture while your eating, but try spoon something into his mouth and it's like Owen, the cereal erupting volcano. He's gotten a cold (from me this time) but he remains happy as ever. We've been reading "Don't let the pigeon stay up late!". It's the sequel to "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!". Unlike most sequels, this one really wraps up a lot of things that were just not satisfactorily brought to a complete resolution in the first book. The scary thing is, I can't get that damn pigeon out of my head. I kept thinking about him today at work...

No comments: