Saturday, January 06, 2007

Put a fork in me 'cause I'm done



Here is a little picture of me from today's race in Lenoir. Everything was going great until the race official blew the whistle... I guess my training plan of 1 day a week rides and eating my way through the holidays wasn't nearly as effective as I thought it would be. That plus busting butt to set the course up and take care of last minute stuff with Jeff wasn't the best warm up.

All in all, I think we had a successful event. The course was brutally tough. The grassy sections turned to a chocolate cake batter slogfest that left many gasping for air. The run-up was cute in a Marquis de Sade sort of way, but the corkscrew descent afterwards was almost worth the effort. After the tennis court off camber, you passed through a thick, sticky mud section. I could feel my bike getting heavier and slower as the mud packed on it, but when you entered the dry dirt section the bike would surge forward as all of the mud was expelled!

Congratulations go to Jeff for hustling and putting on a great event. Thanks to Jack, Mark, Big E, the Grom, The Mayor, Ron, the pasty legged killah, Howard, Jenna, Rebecca, Grom's mom and everyone else who helped make the event possible. I'll be putting up photos soon (thanks, Dad) and editing the video (thanks Mom and Grom) in the next few days.

No more 'cross for me until next season! Maybe, I'll train this time....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Jeff and Shawn for putting on a great event. Thank you, Mayor for all of your contributions, including financial, course prep & breakdown, statistician, and post ride festivities. I wish I could have had some better results for the home team but sure had a great time seeing all those riders come to Lenoir. jb

Anonymous said...

Had a great time Saturday - gee, registration was more work than I thought it would be, but still had a blast. Hey, why was I not invited to the post ride festivities??? -jenna

Al said...

Post-ride festivities? Why were the gorgeous registration chicks no included?
I had a lot of fun working the tent with Jenna and Shelli. All of the riders were great. We were blessed with a specatular day. Let's do it again! grom's mom