Tuesday, January 16, 2007

fresh out of the brain cloud



Just got done doing yoga with Golden. I have hollowed my abdomen, lengthened my spine and cleared my mind - bring it, Rodney Yee! With that out of the way, there have been a few things I've meant to talk about, so this is sort of going to be a post like that Jeopardy category that they put all of the left over questions into; a written potpourri, if you will.

First up is Chris from Tally, the Luna Cycles agent at large. Chris gifted me with a Joe's Bike Shop t-shirt and jersey. They are a really cool shop in Tallahassee. Check out their link over in the sidebar. I also was given an official Sopchoppy Worm Gruntin' t-shirt. Now if you don't know what worm gruntin' is, here is a brief introduction to this dying Florida pasttime.

Chris is a true renaissance man and following in that vein, he is currently embracing a life of athletic monasticism. An avid swimmer, he now keeps the following training stat: "Dude, I have swum 1,111,200 yards since I last got laid." I think that is the kind of athlete stat that every athlete should publicize. Imagine: "Well Paul, I think Ullrich has a lot to prove, but Vinokourov hasn't had sex since November 7th, 2004. I think he's going to rip everybody's legs off today." It could really shed some light on who's really motivated for the win...

I've been a little obsessed with cooking lately. Sunday, I cooked a flemish meal of Chicken with gin and juniper berries, stoemp mit prei (mashed potatoes with leeks) and flemish style brussel sprouts. Washed it all down with a couple of bottles of Chimay. Damn tasty, if I say so myself. In that vein, I promised Chris (see how I tied all that together) to give him my recipe for Shrimp and grits, so here it is:

cook grits according to instructions, but use chicken broth instead of water. Fry several strips of bacon and set aside to drain. Saute onions in bacon grease, discard most of the bacon fat when done. Make a roux with white flour and the reserved bacon fat. Deglaze pan and thin roux using about a 1/4 cup of fresh brewed coffee. Add cream to thicken into a sauce and add the onions and let thicken. Throw the uncooked shrimp in with the cooking grits toward the end of the cooking time for the grits. Plate by serving the grits/shrimp mixture, then crumble bacon on it, spoon red eye gravy on, grate cheddar cheese on and top with fresh sliced spring onions. Salt and pepper as necessary. Feel free to change any or all instructions to suit personal taste!

In keeping with the random deep south theme of this post, it seems that Uncle Fidel is ailing according to the capitalist, pig-dog press. I got news for ya' folks, Disney built, like, 5 animatronic Castros back in the '50's. There's no telling if this is the real Fidel in ill health, or some robot in need of a software upgrade. Only time will tell. Viva la revolucion!

I told you I was all over the place tonight. Florida, Belgium, Deep-south, Cuba and Far East workout/torture session... I guess I kept a tiny thread of logic running through it all...

2 comments:

Chris Harris said...

As my recent lack of carnal experience has now become part of internet lore, I suppose I should not be embarrassed to give you an update. I've now horizontally propelled myself 1,209,400 yards (that's like swimming from Tallahassee to New Bern) without benefit of experiencing any other form of horizontal propulsion.

On a supportive culinary note: I've had (and paid a pretty penny for) shrimp and grits at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, purported to serve the best in the South. I've also had those made by our intrepid blogger. His are better. No contest.


Chris

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great dish. I'm going to have to give it a try. Think I'll add some andouille sausage.