Monday, March 05, 2007

Land of the lazy...

Woohoo, the glamour of race wrenching...

I live in the land of the lazy. At the grocery store this evening, I walked by a parked SUV that had the engine running and no one in the driver's seat. There in the backseat, bathed in the soothing glow of the lcd screen, was a kid watching a movie. I can only presume that the parent was inside shopping. So now our cars are mobile living rooms complete with inefficient gas-powered generator for running such necessary accoutrements as dvd players. Since when has the tv become some sort of life-support system for children? This idiocy, coupled with the apparent Caldwell County translation of "No Parking - Fire Lane" as "Don't Park Here Unless You're Going To Wait in Your Running Car Or You Don't Think You will Be Shopping For Very Long Or You Feel Too Privileged To Have To Park In The Lot With The Unwashed Masses", is enough to make me confrontational if not down right combative. Should I say something? I don't know...

Been a while since I posted. I spent the weekend busting my butt to tile the bathroom and to get 8 self-directed projects ready for my students. I am turning them loose on Geological and Biological evolution. I think they really like it (except for the few who just don't like anything). We'll see how it goes over the next 24 days.

How about Fillipo Pozzatto!?! Who knew Italians could grow blonde afros, but that aside, the guy is showing great form for the classics season. You don't beat Boonen straight up in Belgium by being lucky; you've gotta have skills. Boonen came back Sunday and took Kurne-Brussels-Kurne, but Pozzatto definitely made the impression on the weekend. Stay tuned for classics all month long.

Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 12th. The first annual Caldwell Rotary Tour to Serve charity ride will take place. This ride has it all: Friday night pre-ride meal with live band and a showing of "American Flyers" on the square, then a 10 mile, 42 mile and 62 mile bike ride on Saturday followed by a pot luck post ride lunch. Throw in a t-shirt and you've got yourself a deal for 12 bucks. Not to mention that the route is beautiful and challenging as it winds its way through northern Caldwell County! This will be a nice tune-up for Bridge to Bridge. I'll be putting up more info in the coming days, so check back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The May 12 ride sounds great. You certainly can't beat the price. I hope and expect they get a good turn out.

Anonymous said...

not to wax philosophical or theological on ya, but geological or biological evolution? You can't really believe that stuff. If you're ever interested I've got a series of seven DVDs that scientifically refute all evolution claims. Factually based and using current scientific methods.