Thursday, December 28, 2006

Avoid the blindside

This little 4 week lull in the NC 'cross season hasn't been conducive to any sort of form maintenance. So, it is with heavy legs that I want to remind you that we are a mere 8 days from Winter Cup Race #1 right here in Lenoir. Jeff spent most of today out inspecting and working on the course. The beta from the field is that course conditions will be "interesting". Jeff is hoping to put on a memorable event; hopefully, the first of many.

I have got to say that Jeff has been hustling and working his ass off to pull this 'cross race together. The only way he could hustle harder would involve a pole and a thong... Suffice to say, this race will reward all of the classes, starting with a $1500 pro purse ($1000 for men, $500 for women). So unless you made the world's team or managed to pull together enough scratch to head to Belgium for the Christmas 'cross fest, you should drag your carcass our way for a double race weekend with large rewards!

On to other news. Owen is eating food and rolling over on his own. He's also teething and drools worse than the dog. Hard to look at your kid, the front of his shirt soaked with spit, and think "genius". Yet, somehow I manage to pull that little bit of self-satisfied pride off without a hitch...

Bathroom update: Everything has been torn out (including the sink) and things were not as bad as I had feared. No need to drywall or rip out plaster or anything like that. I did find that the only thing holding in the brand new bathroom window was the molding. Yep, framing a window can really cut into the ol' profit margin... I suggested to Golden that we didn't really need a sink in the bathroom and that, in fact, it made the bathroom roomier. The look on her face was truly priceless. It's nice to know I can still make my wife think I am a complete idiot. Like the time I set the porch on fire while trying to light the charcoal grill with white stove gas on the 4th of July. It was the same look to a lesser degree, but fun nonetheless. I told Golden (after the fire had been put out by the fire dept.), "If you're just now figuring out you married a moron, you're not so swift yourself." I guess I'm just destined to be misunderstood in my lifetime...

No comments: