Friday, June 29, 2012

Let's get this party started

Let's make one thing very clear from the start: I am a consumate professional and am in no way guilty of shirking my reporting duties during this ground-breaking attempt at covering the full breadth and depth of the 2012 Luna Cycles Big Deal Fantasy Tour de France presented by Uncle Chuck's New School Pregreaser. With that being said, let's be honest for a moment. Of the 198 riders in this year's LCBDFTdFp/bUCNSP, only about 20 guys have any hope in hell of doing anything significant, and they certainly aren't leading off on this prologue stage. So, why kill yourself from the gun to stick to an outside schedule as arbitrary as the official start time of a race? I write to you now from the Thalys TGV (Totally Great Vehicle or something to that effect, my french is a bit rusty), hurtling through the somewhat grim industrial north of France on my way to the historic city of Liege in Belgium to catch ONLY the most important racers of this year's fantasy TdF. As soon as we reach the station, I grab a bite to eat, find a decent espresso, perhaps indulge in a bit of the local beer and grab some of those Belgian frites I've heard such good things about, I'll be on the scene for some crack race reporting, ever mindful of the great responsibility that I bear as the official eyes and ears of this the greatest fantasy bike race on Earth.

No comments: