Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Progressive

Tonight was the city council meeting to again request a recycling center in Lenoir. Another big crowd and multiple speakers in support of the request. Jeff and I both spoke after Charlie Frey and James Lowicki kicked things off. My Dad spoke after us in an effort to offset the city council's aw-shucks-ain't-these-youngin's-cute condescention. If you ever need an aging hippy to give credibility to your cause, my Dad's the guy you want on board. Shell-bob Welch rounded out our little group of vocal progressives.

I think that there is definitely some support on the city council for our request. And now, I turn to all of you to help drive the point home. Drop the members of the Lenoir City Council a quick email, just to keep their feet to the fire. The tactic I took with them was to applaud them for the progressive leadership they exhibited by getting Google to come here. Butter 'em up real good; politicians just eat that kinda thing up!

The weather has taken a turn for the pleasant. I've got some new Adidas road shoes on the way, so I can't wait to go try them out without shoe covers! They will be my first new pair of road shoes in years. I'll let you know how they are.

I got some good responses to my Ben Franklin quote. I think that the Matthew 15:11 reference was positive. At least it seemed positive to me. Chris in Tally sent me a George Bernard Shaw quote:
Life's pleasures are either illegal, or immoral, or make you fat.


It's been a long time since I've given you guys any homework, so I appreciate the torent of emails to the city council that you will unleash!

2 comments:

T.J. said...

"Butter 'em up real good; politicians just eat that kinda thing up!"

We sure do.

-T.J. Rohr

Anonymous said...

Why did you feel you had to "butter us up real good" and then turn around and slam us in your forum? Are we not working on this issue together? The council views the recycling issue as a very important one and it is our desire to bring it back in some fashion as soon as possible. We were all shocked to read in your forum that the council had a condescending attitude towards you or other speakers in the group. I certainly did not see it that way. I think I speak for the rest of the council that we do not need "buttering up" to do the right thing for the city and its citizens. Thanks for listening.