Sunday, February 04, 2007

The hip check

The wind was positively howling when we pulled up at Kerr Scott reservoir. There were even a few flakes of snow blowing by, but it never amounted to anything. Jeff, Kevin, Trey and I went mtn. biking while Golden to Owen for a little offroad slog in the jogger stroller.

Conditions were somewhere between snail snot and owl poop, in terms of traction. The truly entertaining factor was railing into a downhill curve that looked dry and grippy, only to realize that you were in a two wheel drift dancing on the razor's edge, counter-steering like a fiend in an attempt to stay upright. Everyone crashed, save Jeff. Tires would pack with mud and dried leaves to the point that my 2.1's looked like 2.8's. Anytime you picked up speed, the tire in front of you would let loose with a hail of quarter sized mud balls that would invariably hit you, usually in the mouth. In short, it was a good time. We rode for 3 hours and I only crashed once, landing on my right hip in some lovely rocks.

We packed up and headed back in Trey's 15 passenger, former nursing home van. Rather than having seats, he has installed a loveseat that folds out into a bed. Kevin and I sat on the loveseat, put our feet up on the bikes and napped all the way home. I was starving when I walked through the door and my ever so thoughtful wife had a sandwich waiting for me. That was the best sandwich I have ever eaten...

Now my thoughts turn toward the coming work week. What new ways will I torture my students this week? Will I actually expect them to do work? To learn? Oh, the humanity!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You teachers are evil. There is no way that you can get middle schoolers to do work anyway. I dont do any work in High school. Gosh.


GROM