Tuesday, February 06, 2007

one of THOSE days

Today was the kind of day that makes you hope tomorrow is Friday. Just my luck, it ain't. My cup hath runneth over with adolescent apathy. Today I tried to discuss global climate change with my students to find out what they think. Turns out, they don't apparently think - about anything. You would think that students would jump at the chance to voice their opinions, but noooooooo. Too much effort I guess. And then I checked out the Lenoir News-Topic and saw the one political cartoon that they ran was mocking Al Gore and his call to action to fight global warming. It labeled it "hysteria".

I've gotta say that the hysteria label was especially ignorant and the fact that the local paper chose such a cartoon especially egregious given the announcement by the UN Meteorological Study on Friday, that global warming is "unequivocal" and that serious, sustained action must be undertaken now to slow it down and mitigate it's effects. Read more here and here. Amazing that something which has been studied since the 1950's and seriously warned about since the 1970's-1980's can be labeled hysteria. The US is going to pompously remain out of step with the rest of the world on this and many other big issues right up until we find ourselves a marginalized, 3rd world country. We lag behind in so many ways and still proudly boast "We're #1!" That's okay, I'm going to show "An Inconvenient Truth" to my classes this week; we'll see how that goes over...

Came home this afternoon and worked out my frustration with some continued remodeling on the bathroom that wouldn't die. Played with Owen (which really helped brighten my mood!) and watched him "eat" some broccoli. Here is photographic evidence:





Back to the trenches tomorrow to fight the good fight...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute kid even if he does look like Al Gore. He wears his brocolli well.

Anonymous said...

That's okay, I'm going to show "An Inconvenient Truth" to my classes this week; we'll see how that goes over...

Be sure to let us know how it goes. While I understand the frustration you feel toward the teenage apathy, I can get past their ignorance much easier than the adults who choose to call globabl warming a myth or just mass hysteria. In my opinion, the majority of these people are simply sticking their head in the sand because they are too lazy to make the personal sacrifices to help stop climate change. Even worse or those, and there are plenty, that rationalize global warming want effect them in their life time.

Al said...

Sooner or later the apathy WILL change to panic. The unwashed, uncaring masses will be begging big-daddy government to fix this mess. We must continue to drill it into all the thick skulls that emissions of carbon-based fuels must stop or we are headed to a horrible extinction. Look at Easter Island....
oh and have a nice day!