Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Perhaps poker's just not your game..."


You just never know what is going to happen at a 'cross race, but apparently counting on Old Man Welch to pull off a W with style is not too far off the mark. He and Ed Dickenson duked it out on a long, tough course with lots of running and slippery sections. The end result was two in a row for Jeff in the Masters 35+ category.

After endoing and landing on my shoulder and back (while my bike tried to eat my left leg), I got back on and raced harder than I should have to finish 26th in the Masters category. Shaw Brown demanded a pee test after witnessing my solo pileup and resurgent ride after. I swear that the team doctor is just giving me vitamins...



Shelli Welch made it official: she is definitely the woman to watch in the B class as she finished 2nd this weekend. There is a win in her future before Thanksgiving, mark my words... Jenna "PS" Proffit debuted with a respectable 17th in a very large women's B field. The grin said it all though!



The CX 4 race saw 51 guys toe the line! As always in 'cross, the start was crucial as it went from a wide open straightaway to a singlefile path almost immediately. I got a good start and hit the first turn in 3rd, managing to avoid the inevitable bottleneck. I managed to finish 18th. Dave Brown kept out of trouble and finished an awesome 31st in his 'cross debut. Jack Brown, after a less than great start, pinch flatted and had to DNF due to the mechanical. The guy is going to be looking for revenge in Boone...
Thanks to everyone on the Sledgehammer Charlie's team for providing support during the races and good attitudes the rest of the time. Thanks to the out-of-nowhere 'cross hooligans (see picture) for heckling everything on two legs and two wheels coming up the run-up. Just wish I'd known about the beer handups...

No comments: