Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hesterberg hesitates, Dyer dominates La Doyenne

Lenoir, NC (LC Press) - Max Dyer surged clear of the field to take Liege-Bastogne-Liege with panache and brilliance. Dyer surged clear of an elite group of three that included Jeff Welch and John McMenemy, as well. Dyer seems to have shaken off the anguish and pain of his untrue doping allegations after his Paris-Roubaix brilliance by bookending the last weeks of the classics season.

John McMenemy just nipped Jeff Welch at the line eeking out a slim 10 pt advantage. The rest of the field, including Howard Hesterberg, languished behind the three escapees. The gap proved too large to close, turning the remnants of this record-sized fantasy peloton to a field of also-rans.

Welch made a statement following the race expressing bitter disappointment at the waste of what he thought would prove to be the legs needed to win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted that win, but as usual the second last hill had something to say as well.Victory went to some worthy competitors, congrats gentlemen.
Howard

kori d said...

I think I like fantasy cycling better because fantasy training seems to work for me more than riding a bicycle. Anyway, a big thank you to Shawn and the guys who joined in. That was a lot of fun. The only down side is that my wife thinks I'm a total dork ever since I threw my hands up and ran around the house celebrating Roubaix.