Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Redemption

You may or may not have noticed, but the biggest deal in North American Men's Professional Road Cycling, the Amgen Tour of California (or AToC for those desperate for initializing) began on Saturday. This race marks the return of Lance Armstrong to his first US race, Floyd Landis to his first post-suspension race and Ivan Basso to his post-suspension era as well.

It struck me as odd that in a week dominated by the performance enhancing drug revelations of Alex Rodriguez, that no fewer than 5 professional cyclists who had served suspensions for drug violations would be in California. They include the aforementioned Landis and Basso along with Stage 1 winner Francesco Mancebo, Tyler Hamilton and Oscar Sevilla (all of Rock Racing - a supportive, half way team that eases those coming off of suspensions back into the rough and tumble world of the pro peloton with all of its temptations and pressures). Couple this with convicted party drug imbiber Tom Boonen (cocaine) and everybody's favorite man in grey (the area between legal and illegal), Lance Armstrong and you just know somebody is going to have to say something. Paul Kimmage, former pro cyclist, journalist, and author of the tell-all drug expose Rough Ride, confronted Armstrong in a press conference and really told it like it is to his face. Armstrong's reaction was to be expected, but his recent dropping of his much touted and publicized self-testing program under the direction of Don Catlin, doesn't exactly make for a strong defense in Armstrong's corner.

What is even funnier is the American public's seeming desire to really, really, really want to forgive A-Rod and move on from the whole drugs mess, while cycling just keeps devolving into a sordid, soap opera like series of scandals and bitter recriminations. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the year that nothing much happens in cycling and the rest of the sports world gets its share of cheaters and dopers exposed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It still amazes me how medium-fish in obscure ponds keep ragging Lance Armstrong. If it wasn't for Lance we'd be listening to the ATOC online only. There'd ONLY be bull riding on VS. network, and a million new cyclists would all be playing golf. It reminds me of how the "wannabe-cool" turn on a band when they get popular. I will continue to cheer for Lance unless I see an undisputed positive test. Which NO ONE has seen. Lance doesn't need to present a strong defense. There's still nothing to defend. He's the most tested athlete in sports and we still have zip. I say go Lance! But then again I admit I'm terribly uncool.

Kelly said...

I can't believe, that in this horrid finacial and econimic crisis, that we waste congressional time on pro-athletes and their chemical enhancements. If an actress "enhances" her appearance (through implants, lipo and diet drugs) she is rewarded with publicity and work. Why should we care if these people want to trash their bodies? Most of us are just trying to get or keep health insurance.
Forgive A-rod? I really do not give a rat's a%$^!

Larry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shawn said...

Enough. I hardly bashed any of the riders mentioned in the post, in fact, I was trying to make the point that perhaps we (the cycling community) have learned some lessons about how to treat suspect athletes that our more mainstream sports brethren are just now going to have to come to grips with. I don't know if the personal comments that were made by Anonymous were directed at me, but I choose to think that they were not, since I do not fit the description. I will say that I disagree that Lance brings needed attention to the sport of cycling; Lance Armstrong is a recognizable brand that the mainstream can latch onto because of his compelling background story and his heroic return from near death. I was right there cheering during those early Tours, awed by Armstrong's saavy, strong and downright amazing rides. I do consider Armstrong a great Tour de France cyclist, but I do not view him as a great all around rider because of his focus on the TdF. Armstrong's return to the peloton has inevitably shifted attention away from the many up and coming American cyclists who are starting to make inroads in Europe, and has once again thrown a wrench into the career of Levi Leipheimer who has not been able to climb out of Armstrong's shadow. And lastly, Armstrong's anger and temper, his bullying of Simonini and his vicious verbal attack on Paul Kimmage are not traits that I personally (medium fish/obscure pond) do not find helpful to the branding image he is trying to craft.

Unknown said...

Shawn, I must disagree about Lance bringing attention to the sport. He is bringing a massive amount of attention, good or bad, that is benefitted all of us cycling geeks. Without Lance, we wouldn't be watching the race on Versus. People make the comment that Lance is not cycling, when in fact, I believe Lance is bigger than cycling. I say this not as a Lance fan, because I don't really like him that much, but drugs or no drugs he still would have kicked everyone's ass. Some people are just more talented than others. period. What I can't stand is these half assed x pros claiming that because they were pack fill, it proves that everyone else was on drugs....blah blah blah. How about admitting that they were just pack fill, that's it ( they were probably doped too)
i am no expert on any of this, but I do get some pretty good inside information. That said, I welcome all these guys back, I have faith that the sport we love can overcome all this bullshit, and like all those baseball fans willing to quickly forgive and forget, we must also. No more of this "I am through with cycling crap". Let's just keep on cheering...ALLEZ ALLEZ

Anonymous said...

I don't know who Megan is, but a agree completely. I would never wish bad on anyone, That being said I believe that CONI is doing what the UCI for some reason will not. If the riders are going to be tested and cycling is to be cleaned up, everything must be done to catch the doppers. I think someone should find a way to obtain DNA from each rider and compare it to the Puerto mess.

I still can't log in
Eddie

http://www.velonews.com/article/88321/valverde-will-race-this-weekend