Friday, April 20, 2007

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a helluva week. Monday: get new job for next year, then lose power at school, teach in the dark for a couple of hours, go home early. Tuesday and wednesday: blurry fog of classes and meetings. Thursday and Friday: lockdown! We had "soft lockdowns" yesterday and today. I can't help but feel like there is just a little bit of "hopeful paranoia" when these sort of things take place. I cannot begin to comprehend the awful events at Va. Tech, but too often we seem to launch into an irrational exuberant fear mode that really needs to be examined. Our entire county was locked down today. There are all kinds of rumors circulating, but I'm not endorsing or even repeating any of them. I often consider a fact that I heard a few years ago: people have become so blase to "drills" (like fire drills) that when there is an actual emergency, not only do they not panic, they don't take it seriously! I don't know what I'm getting at...

Jeff and Chuck took off to watch the Brasstown Bald stage of the Tour of Georgia today. I haven't heard anything, but the story about how they and a whole lot of other people got lost due to bunk directions from Mapquest. Suffice to say that a dirt road and a Forest Service Ranger were involved. I'll give the lowdown when I get it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


post something new.