Monday, October 29, 2007

wakey, wakey - wow I'm achey




Round 2 of the NC Cyclocross Series is in the books. Fall made an appearance for the stop in Salisbury and for the first time in a long time, there was a debate as to whether or not arm warmers should be worn during the race. The day started off with the short drive from Lenoir to Salisbury. I was accompanied by mi familia and everyone was ready to watch bikes and ring some cowbells!

The CX4 race got off to an interesting start and I wormed my way into the lead group from the gun, but didn't have the power to stick it through to that sweet relief point that occurs in a 'cross race. You know, when the drill-fest tones down to a manageable pain level. I rode like crap for two laps and then started feeling decent the last two laps, but it wasn't enough and I finished 20th.

A brief respite and it was back to the line for the Master's race. Now last week I just rode the master's race as extra training miles, but this week I wanted to make a hard effort and see how long I could stick. To aid this endeavor, I downed an Enervit Cheer Pack shortly before lining up. If you have never heard of this product, we affectionately call it the "crack pack" for the extreme rocket fuel nature of the day-glo green liquid inside. The cheer pack's effects last for about a half an hour; too bad the Master's race is 45 minutes. In short, I felt like a rock star for 3 and a half laps, but totally shut down the last two and a half. I could hear Scotty yelling at me, "I'm givin' 'er all she's got!" At least I actually raced for a while...

The weather has taken an excellent turn as we head towards the Lenoir 'Cross Race this weekend. Jeff is putting in overtime making sure that everything is as perfect as possible. The course has the flavor of the Winter Cup course, but there are a few surprises in store for everyone, too. I want to encourage all the spectating I can, so bring your cowbells and a drink to keep you warm!

Just a reminder that the "Carbon Fiber Love" sale is going on through the end of this week, so if you are interested in anything from carbon bikes to carbon bottle cages or anything in between, make sure you stop by and check it out!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time is the race this weekend? Is there a link with more info?

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a video of this years race action. I know my mom is helping out, but she wont be able to give me full course details. Best of luck to all the boys of the SHC racing team. Hold it down.

Grom

Anonymous said...

OK. That's it. I'm going on a diet AND the team is getting new skinsuits next year. I look like the freaking jolly green giant in that picture.

See you Sunday.

Howard

Anonymous said...

Registration for races begins at 8:30 a.m. but it pays to be there a bit early. You can register online by going to www.sportsbaseonline.com/Series.aspx?is=280 You can also contact Jeff Welch at jwelch@charter.net for further information. Looking forward to seeing everyone out at Zacks Fork Soccer Complex this Sunday.