Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mark it on your calendar!

Here is more of the story on the proposed development of Wilson Creek. The County Commissioners meeting is this Monday, August 27th at 6 pm. We need as much public opposition to this proposal as we can muster, so please, please, please come out and lend your voice to the cause!

In reading the News-Topic article, I especially like the developer's comment that Wislon Creek is going to get developed eventually. You know, we don't have to roll over and play dead for land developers. Development of wild and scenic areas is not inevitable. But just like any treasure, someone will surely steal it for themselves if you don't protect it!

Got a good soaking on my afternoon commute yesterday. I also managed to break a bolt that holds my panniers to my dropout. Fun times limping it to the shop, hoping that the friction of my fender being pushed against my tire by a pannier loaded with textbooks wouldn't cause the tube to explode going down the one sketchy descent. It broke up the routine of my twice daily rolling meditation.

I enjoy my solo morning commute the best. The air is cool and there is usually a slight mist close to the ground. Traffic is light and I am left to my thoughts. Maybe it is the fact that I am not fully awake when I leave, but the whole commute seems to take on a transcendental mood. I find myself to the point of disconnecting my thoughts from the rest of my body. I can feel myself pedaling from a distance as my mind seems to be more immediate. I kind of dig that feeling...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reuest for development has been withdrawn- see today's news topic. However, we still need to attend the meeting on Monday because this issuse will probably be back. There has been a lot of opposition to this development, but we know the power of money, so keep up the pressure.

Travis Lowe

Anonymous said...

Sorry guy's I still can't log on at work. Eddie Winkler

This is private land and at some point something will be done with it. The best hope is that the County will control what is done up there.

One other option is to get some type of grant worked out to purchase a green space easement. The NC Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources has this type of program. The NC DOT has also been involved in this type of program with funding. Based upon the $7 listed price that was being talked about, I know of no other way to keep this as green space. Good luck finding a private party that will pay that amount and not develop the property.

Just my $ .02

Anonymous said...

Actually, another group has previously offered the land owner 6 million for the land. Their sole purpose in obtaining the property was to donate it to the national conservatory. Meaning the land would forever remain exactly the way it is.

Anonymous said...

Eddie Winkler said, "The best hope is that the County will control what is done up there."

This will only happen if large numbers show up to the meeting on Monday and let the officials know how important this it to the local residents/voters.