Thursday, August 16, 2007

Long time, no see

I finally have enough time to spout off some more drivel. Life has been hectic this past week and it doesn't show any signs of stopping anytime soon. Just in case you aren't in our area, it is unreasonably, unbearably, bewilderingly hot here right now. Add to that a hefty dose of no rain and you've got yourself a good old-fashioned drought. Commuting back and forth to school has become an exercise in asceticism. Each day, I arrive at the shop from school streaming sweat and red as a fire truck. I can't wait to be able to complain about how cold it is. The nice thing has been that mornings have been cool with a good layer of ground fog and some spectacular sunrises that tend toward the pink and turquoise.

Today was Owen's first day of daycare. He seemed to be pretty fine with the whole thing, but there was definitely stress on our part. I never realized all of the feelings and emotions that go along with parenthood. It is a really primal protectiveness that you feel for your child. It's nice being reminded of your animal nature.

I spent today tubing the New River with all of the students from our school. It was hot and slow. The water level was way down, so a lot of walking was involved. Not quite tiring, but not quite relaxing either.

Jeff and I have committed to going to Vegas for Interbike this year. It's been a while since I've gone, so I'm definitely excited about going. I'm really curious to experience Interbike from the perspective of a shop owner, instead of the employee's perspective. I'll try to give some sneak peek reports from the show while I'm there.

The weekend is nigh and I am truly ready for it. Hope to see you in the shop this weekend!

No comments: