Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I'm not a doctor, but I do have a biology degree...

I have this new habit.  Actually, it is more of a procedure... a self-administered procedure.  When I first started cycling, the occassional bike crash was something that didn't really faze me, unless I was significantly injured, i.e. knocked unconscious or severely concussed. When I seperated my shoulder during a mountain bike race, I actually completed the lap and then headed out and completed the next (last) lap.  True, by the end of the race I was unable to move my arm, but I nonetheless thought that I had some minor injury that I would easily recover from.  It seemed that a bike accident had to actually alter my brain waves in order for me to pause and consider what was happening (or in the more significant instances: HAD happened).

Not now, though.  Now, I touch the floor or, lately, the dirt, and I am extremely aware of my physical state.  I still hop back on the bike as quickly as possible (a feat that is taking longer and longer as I get older), but now when I start riding again, I am running self diagnostic checks like some Terminator robot on holiday.  But unlike a real doctor, my internal doctor is not very well trained and seems determined to overlook or blow off symptoms.  So far, my internal doctor is proving to offer no better medical advice than, " Awww, that's nothing.  Just keep riding, the pain will work itself out."  The one benefit is that my internal doctor is free AND he is a great proponent of the healing properties of beer and mexican food.  And chocolate.

My latest gravity encounter saw me get tangled up in my mountain bike on a greasy slick muddy descent.  I ended up trying to see how much lateral movement my knee was capable of withstanding and landed squarely on my IT band.  This sent a shockwave up my quad to my hip, somewhat akin to striking your funny bone, but much, much worse.  After being cleared by the internal doctor, I decided to seek out a second opinion.  Bad move.  Never get a second opinion if you are perfectly happy with the first one.  Shelli, my second consultant, prescribed IT stretches and some sessions with the dreaded foam roller.  Not the prescription I was looking for.  While she is probably on to something, I'm going to see what my dog thinks and go from there...

Don't forget: I'm gonna get you Shaw Brown!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And remember, a doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient. Go see John Mac. Your insurance will pay for it and while he probably also has a biology degree, he also has an MD.