Friday, November 24, 2006

Back to work...

The big feast has come and gone and now it's all about some leftovers. We went to our friends Tom and Lynda Lee to have the big meal with their families. Their son, Auguste, is about 7 months older than Owen, so it's like seeing the future when we are around him. Good to spend time with other people's families at the holidays to help you sort out that everybody's family is weird. That could be a new psychiatric revolution: just cart all your clients to your house for the holidays and show 'em, "see, we're screwed up too".

Got a good ride in with Jeff, A-Rod and Big E. Nice spin out 90. I turned around at Sand Mtn. so I could help out with the t-day baking. Golden cranked out a pumpkin pie and an apple pie that were so good they would make you want to slap your mother. I made sweet potato biscuits with orange-honey butter. We had dinner, Golden and I split a bottle of Chimay Cinq Cents, while the horde actually preferred Budweiser. What can you do....



All my time off has relaxed me to the point of nostalgia, when all I had to worry about was studying and riding my bike. I found this picture on cyclingnews.com and it definitely brought back memories. Campagnolo put this picture out as a huge poster, it was like 3ft. by 4ft. and I somehow managed to get a copy (and lose it in a move which makes my heart ache to this day). Stephen Roche had won everything that year: Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and then World's. He was the man that year. Of course, he really didn't do squat after that, but who cares. I was 17 and had been racing for like 2 years. I remember I felt physical pain if I didn't ride my bike every day. To say I was consumed was definitely an understatement. What is weird though, is that a lot of things have come in and out of my life; I've been obsessed and then nothing. But the bike has always been there, always holding my attention. I have no idea why. I go back to work Monday and I hope that I can hold on to some of the things I have found in myself these past three weeks taking care of Owen. The stress and angst of teaching can't dim the passions that make me who I am; I can't let it...

Alright, that's more than enough introspection, how about a trivia question? Be the first to name 3 other riders pictured in addition to Stephen Roche and I'll send you a Luna Cycles t-shirt. Email me using the contact me button. Send your address and shirt size!

No comments: